Time: 40 minutes
A big, spicy scramble of eggs, hot pork sausage, vegetables, and chiles in which all the flavors remain distinct.
1 tbsp. ollive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped andouille sausage (about 6 oz.)
10 large eggs
1 tbsp. minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
1/4 tsp. red chile flakes, or to taste
6 oz. spinach, washed and thoroughly dried (about 2 qts.)
1. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper, and stir often until onions are light golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Increase heat to medium-high, add sausage, and stir often until sausage has browned slightly and released some fat, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a mediu bowl, whisk together eggs and 3 tbsp. water.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic and chile flakes. Stir until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add spinach to pan and toss with tongs until it has wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer sausage-vegetable mixture to a bowl and wipe pan clean.
5. Add eggs to pan and scramble just until set, 4 to 5 minutes, then gently stir in sausage-vegetable mixture. Serve with hot sauce if you like.
Per Serving: 244 cal., 63% (153 cal.) from fat; 17g protein; 17g fat (4.9 g sat.); 7g carbo (1.8g fiber); 463mg sodium; 370mg chol.